How Do I Connect Paypal To My Site?
PayPal StoreFront supports PayPal Standard, PayPal Express Checkout, PayPal Advanced, PayPal Payflow Link, and PayPal Payments Pro solutions. If you have sales related questions about setting up new PayPal service and would like to speak directly to a PayPal Product Specialist, call (1) 877-455-1481.
If you have customer service related questions regarding an existing PayPal account and would like to speak directly to a PayPal Customer Service agent, call (1) 888-221-1161. PayPal Standard PayPal Standard is the easiest PayPal solution to set up and use. In addition to regular payments within PayPal accounts, this method also allows users to pay by credit card without having to first create a PayPal account.
How to set it up
1. StoreFront Control Panel:
- Go to the Settings → Payment page.
- Find PayPal payment method.
- Click "Account Details" link in the Payment Processor column. A popup window will appear.
- Insert your PayPal account's email address. Save the changes.
- Enable this payment method and save the changes once again.
2. PayPal backend:
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Proceed to My account → Profile → My selling tools.
- Find Instant Payment Notifications in the settings link and click "Update". Click "Choose IPN Settings" button and select Receive IPN messages (Enabled) option. Type in the following URL in "Notification URL" field: http://app.multiscreenstore.
com/paypalstandard/STOREIDwhere STOREID is your actual Store ID. For example:http://app.multiscreenstore.com/paypalstandard/1003. Save the changes.
- Also, we highly recommend enabling the "Auto Return" option*. You can find it on Profile → My selling tools → Website Payment Preferences page. StoreFront sends the necessary value of the Return URL in each request to PayPal.
- Set up encoding preferences. Open Profile → My selling tools → PayPal button language encoding" page. Click the More Options button. Then set Encoding to UTF-8, and Do you want to use the same encoding for data sent from PayPal to you (e.g., IPN, downloadable logs, emails)? to Yes. Save the changes.
- If you have Premier or Business PayPal account, go to Profile → My selling tools → Shipping Calculations and click Update. Then select the checkbox next to the shipping method for a specific currency. Click "Edit" button. Set Use the shipping fee in the transaction instead of my calculator's settings to Yes. Click "Save Changes" button. Perform these steps for each shipping method set in your PayPal account. If you don't have any shipping methods on this page, just skip this step.**
Please make sure you followed all the steps described above. Otherwise, you may have issues with your PayPal orders.
* The auto-return will force your customers to return to your store (and to which URL they will be returned) after they have completed the payment at PayPal. Basically this setting isn't necessary: PayPal will show a button like 'return to the store' that will lead the customers back to the shop.
However, you may want to enable it in the following cases:
a) If you want to track sales using Google Adwords or any other tool and you have a tracking code inserted in StoreFront control panel, System Settings → General → Cart. In this case, the code is triggered when customer's get to Thank you for your order page therefore you need to force the auto return.
b) If you're going to use one PayPal account in several separate StoreFront stores. StoreFront will pass the correct URL along with each payment request, so customers will be returned to the site where they started the checkout (i.e. your StoreFront shop).
The main thing is to enable IPN (Instant Order Notifications) setting. IPN is a message transmitted from PayPal to StoreFront via a special secure channel and indicating the status of the payment. So this setting will ensure that your StoreFront store will be notified about whether the customer did complete the payment or the transaction has been failed. Upon receiving such a notification, StoreFront is able to update the order status accordingly. Thus having IPN properly setup in your PayPal account is crucial for the automatic accepting of orders in StoreFront.
** This step is necessary to avoid issues with shipping calculation in StoreFront store: If you have any shipping rates configured in the PayPal account, they may override the rates from your StoreFront store. As a result the order may arrive at status Awaiting Payment (check here for more tips on this issue).
PayPal Express Checkout
Express Checkout is a more advanced solution by PayPal. It provides an alternative checkout process for your StoreFront store.
How to setup PayPal Express Checkout in StoreFront
- Log in to your StoreFront control panel.
- Go to Settings → Payment → PayPal Express Checkout page.
- Fill in all the necessary fields: API Username, API Password and Signature. You can get them from PayPal.
- Save the changes.
How to generate PayPal API signature
Have you generated an API certificate or signature before?
1. If no, you need to generate a signature. Use instructions provided by PayPal: Obtaining API Credentials.
2. If yes, then there are two options:
- You generated the API signature but cannot find it on the PayPal backend. In this case, you just need to grab it using the instruction posted above and use it in the StoreFront backend.
- You generated the API certificate. Unfortunately, PayPal doesn't allow having an API signature and a certificate at the same time. So you should remove the certificate and generate the signature instead. Attention: if you're already running any shopping cart with your PayPal account and this cart uses an API certificate, the cart will not be able to process PayPal transactions. In this case, you need to switch the cart to using a signature (PayPal recommends using a signature).
How PayPal Express Checkout works
- You add products to the bag.
- Click "Checkout with PayPal".
- StoreFront redirects you to the PayPal site.
- You sign in with the PayPal account or create a new one.
- PayPal redirects you back to StoreFront.
- StoreFront creates a new profile based on the information from PayPal and shows the last checkout page.
- You review your order, change the shipping method if necessary and click "Submit order" button.
- StoreFront sends the request to PayPal in the background, PayPal charges your credit card.
That"s it! If you need any further assistance please email into [email protected]